Singer-songwriter-poet-artist-photographer-enigma-seeker of knowledge
Every so often there comes along a singer with a unique talent. Pop vocalist and songwriter, Brandon October has been such a talent. Here is a singer with an incredible vocal who has over the years come to be highly respected by his peers as well as the music industry.
He doesn’t only confine himself to singing. His many talents and abilities include song writing and composition and in this Brandon exhibits a rather unique way of composing. He says; ’I hear the entire piece of music in my head; I then have to deconstruct it and explain what I hear to the session musicians. ‘Over the past 5 years, Brandon October has built his singing career to become one of the most sought after singers in South Africa. A vocalist, entertainer, songwriter, producer, lyricist and poet, he is one of our most popular and unique talents both nationally and abroad. Nicknamed ‘the voice’ by all who work with him, he is one of the premier vocalists in our country. A gifted & versatile singer, Brandon astounds peers and audiences alike wherever he performs and it’s not hard to see why. With a vocal range that easily spans 4 octaves, Brandon October is indeed a very special talent.
A perfectionist by nature, he displays all the hallmarks of success, commitment, ambition, reliability, punctuality, professionalism and courtesy. He is in popular demand as Master of ceremonies, celebrity guest and motivational speaker. Brandon has also co-presented a lifestyle television show, ’Voila’ and more recently is the co-presenter of popular SABC 2 show, Supersterre, along with Patricia Lewis. Supersterre is a prime time show which boasts a weekly viewer membership of over 4 million people.
His latest album which features 10 original tracks, was produced by Brandon and is rapidly nearing gold status (25 000). With such dedication, ambition, perseverance and never-give-up attitude it’s easy to see why Brandon has become such a success. One look at his background shows that, he is living proof that no amount of adversity can hold the pursuit and achievement of a dream.
For this reason Brandon has become an inspiration to many people, both young and old and uses his experiences to give back to the community in the form of music/singing workshops.
He is also involved with charities (CHOC, Hospice and Reach for a Dream) and regularly avails himself for performances, motivational talks or general support.
Brandon is indeed a fast rising star and one cannot ignore the impact he is bringing to the South African music industry.
• Performed theme song for 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development which was televised to billions worldwide.
• Performed theme song for 2006 FIFA World Cup unveiling ceremony in Berlin, Germany which was televised worldwide.
• Singing professionally for more than 15 years
• Started working life as an Art Director in the advertising industry
• Is a singer, songwriter, composer, artist, poet, photographer and producer
• Second album has reached gold status
• Performed in Europe, US and Africa
• Performed with Cape & Johannesburg Philharmonic Orchestras
A few Performance Highlights:
• ATKV Awards 2007
• Vodacom CEO Awards
• Coca Cola Rider Cup awards
• New Orleans
• Reconciliation Day Concert- by invitation Premier of the Western Cape
• Project of Hope- by invitation Premier of the Eastern Cape 2007
• Die Berger Festival Tour Eastern Cape
• Durban Royal Show 2007
• Rand Easter Show 2007
• Polokwane Festival 2007
• Randfontein Show 2007
• Gariepfees 2007
• Pendoring Awards 2007
• KKNK 2007
• Vryburg Skou
• ATKV Buffelspoort
• Department of Education Northern Province MEC Awards
• Rapport Musicblitz tour with Jannie Moolman 2008
• Woman of the Year Awards
• Skousepel 2006 & 2007 live audience of 36 000
• Paarl Cultivaria Pops-2007
• Kaapse Jol 2006,2007,2008
• Miss South Africa & Miss South Africa Teen 2006
• SABC 2 concerts 2007
• Co presenter & performer Supersterre Talent Search on SABC 2 broadcast to over 4 million viewers weekly.
• Miss Namibia broadcast throughout Africa
• Strictly Come Dancing 2006 & 2007 SABC 2
Born Brandon Steve October on 30th May 1977, he is the oldest and only boy of three children. His schooldays were spent at ST Clements Primary and he matriculated from Claremont’s Livingstone High School.
Brandon Steve October was born in Cape Town, 30 years ago. He grew up in Mitchells Plain, Cape Town. On completing his studies, he took the bold step to relocate to Johannesburg. There Brandon worked for an Advertising Agency, utilising his skills from Advertising School, in the creative department, for approximately two years.
He spent two years studying graphic design and multi media, where his work won him a Creative Director’s Forum bursary. This allowed him to spend two years at Cape Town’s Red and Yellow School, studying art direction. Brandon was perfectly happy working in art direction and creative design for Johannesburg’s B&C Group, where he’d been ensconced since 2000. ‘I never took being entered into idols seriously, he says. ‘I went along to humour people, and I was totally stunned to get through to the top 100.’
His rising popularity during the series continued to mystify him. ‘Singing is something I grew up with’, he shrugs. ‘My whole family sings, and I’ve been singing for as long as I can remember- but only as a hobby or in church. I never dreamt of a career in the entertainment industry, least of all the music industry.’ Fortunately, thousands of fans disagree, so the ad world’s loss is the music world’s gain
‘You have to believe it and want it enough for it to happen.’ Brandon October
Then a work colleague decided to enter him into idols. The rest they say is history! Achieving second place in Idols 1,but undoubtedly the people’s choice as idol.
Achievements since 1 (2002)
• Special guest on Noot vir Noot TV show,3 seasons running
• Special guest Performer on Noot vir Noot Road show across the country, two seasons running
• Recently on panel for of judges for the regional finals of the Patricia Lewis Supersterre Talent competition
• Celebrity guest entertainer for Casual Day-one of the country’s foremost charity fundraising events
• Recently appointed as Celebrity Ambassador for Tommy Hilfiger South Africa
• Celebrity Guest performer and MC for large corporate clients in South Africa
• Asked to audition for role in popular KyKnet Sitcom ‘Villa Roussa’
• Has performed with the crème de la crème of South African Talent
- Amanda Strydom
- Gloria Bosman
- Sarah Theron
- Coenie De Villiers
- Lebo Mathosa
- Koos Kombuis
- Patricia Lewis
- Judith Sephuma
- Zama Jobe
- Bianca Le Grange
- Danie Niehaus
- Kevin Leo
- Jennifer Jones
- Timothy Moloi
Only to name a few!
• Constantly in demand for interviews, fashion shoots and cover-shoots in printed media
• Constantly in demand for TV interviews, has appeared on numerous occasions, on key TV music and entertainment shows
• Constantly in demand for Road shows and festival performances
• Special Guest at the Klein Karoo Nationale Kunstefees Big Band Pops Evening
• Special Guest at Die Burger Kersfons Konsert.
• Asked to co-host an Afrikaans Nature Show targeted at children for SABC 2
• Selected as one of Heat Magazine’s Hot 100,in 2004
• Recorded and released his debt album ‘Temptation’
• Nominated for a MTN SAMA Award for Best Pop Album in 2004!
• Recorded a track on the ‘Idols & Friends’ Christmas Compilation released for Christmas 2005
• Constantly in demand to perform at functions and for major corporate clients in South Africa (Some key corporate clients listed below
- Coca Cola
- Old Mutual
- Media 24
- National Ports Authority
- South African Labour Department
- Zululand Expo
- First National Bank
- ABSA Bank
- Standard Bank
- Shoprite Group of Companies
- Fairbrige Mall
- Miller Breweries
- JD Group
- Avroy Shain
- Glaxo-Smith Kline Beecham
- Mosaic industry of South Africa
- Sun International
- Waterford Wine Estate
- SAACI Showcase
- The Clicks Group of Companies
- 2004 Loerie Awards
- Tlatsoi Events
- The Event Company
- VWV Event Company
- Showgroup World
• Guest artist Performer at the Spar 94.7 Highveld stereo Carols by Candlelight Concert.
• Guest artist Performer at the switching on the Christmas Lights in George
• Celebrity performer at Die Huisgenoot, Kaapse Jol at the Suidooster Fees, Janury 2006, sharing with Kurt Darren, Dozi, Taliep Peterson, Karin Kortjie, Bianca Le Grange, Zamar and Brasse van Die Kaap