Paul Stuart Buckby
Summary Profile2011 marks his 28th year in entertainment as an actor, singer, songwriter, producer, master of ceremonies and auctioneer.
Children’s theatre is where it all began; a disciplined training ground for any actor.
Thereafter he gained vast experience performing for the arts councils around South Africa, from ‘third spear on the left’ to leading man.
Television was the obvious next step and he appeared in many guises as an actor and presenter. Recently viewers saw him as ‘Dr Adam Fischer in M-net’s ‘EGOLI’ and ‘Mike Slater’ in SABC’S re-broadcasting of ‘HOMELAND’, for which he received an NTVA award nomination for ‘Best Actor’. He played the notorious ‘Simon Roussouw’ in SABC’S ‘GENERATIONS’ for four years.
His second album ‘A MOMENT”S BORN’, demonstrated his song writing ability, both in English and Afrikaans. The amusing song ‘Souskluitjies’, enjoyed exposure on both KYK-NET’S ‘KWELA’ and STEVE HOFMEYR’S ‘DIS HOE DIT IS”. Hy was ‘Die Gas Kunstenaar (Guest Artist) on an 18000km, 42-town tour of SABC’S ‘NOOT VIR NOOT ROADSHOW’.
The musical stage beckoned once again and he recently played the role of ‘KING’ in ‘THE KING AND I’ at the Civic Theatre for PACKED HOUSE PRODUCTIONS, as well as for Cambridge High School and Michelle Brandenberger in East London.
He has MC’d countless functions, from ‘Best Legs Competitions’ to high end corporate events. Paul also co-hosted ‘MISS SOUTH AFRICA’ at Sun City and also was MC for the State President’s TECHNO AWARDS.
He also received his AUCTIONEERING DIPLOMA from the South African College of Auctioneers under Col. Hedley Harris in 2004.
SOME OTHER HIGHLIGHTS:
• ‘Joseph’, ‘Narrator’, ‘Brother’ in ‘Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’ - PACT, PACOFS and CAPAB
• ‘Danny’ in ‘GREASE’ - PACOFS, PACT, ARTSCAPE
• TV presenter for SABC 3’s ‘THE MOTORING SHOW’
• TV presenter for SABC’S ‘WIN AND SPIN’ - Urban Brew Prod.
• TV field presenter for MNET’S ‘FRONT ROW’
• MC for MISS SOUTH AFRICA PAGEANT 1994/1995 - Sun City
• MC for M-NET FILM AWARDS
• Singer in MISS WORLD ‘92 – live at Sun City
• Produced and starred in ‘IMMORTALITY- THE BEE GEES’, a tribute at Carnival City.
• Played principle roles in drama series – ‘THE SYNDICATE’, ‘KALEBONE’
• Played role of ‘STEVE’ in ‘SUMMER HOLIDAY’, in association with ULTZ, for which he received two performance nominations for the VITA AWARDS.
• Played the ‘KING in ‘THE KING AND I’ at The Civic Theatre in Johannesburg Directed by Deon Opperman.
• and ‘LORD METHUEN’ in the hit musical ‘ONS VIR JOU’ also for PACKED HOUSE PRODUCTIONS at The State Theatre in Pretoria.
• Has just completed playing Scorpion’ NATHAN LIEBOWITZ’ in a political drama motion picture, soon to be released ‘A SMALL TOWN CALLED DESCENT’, directed by Jahmil X.T.Quebeka.
• Currently busy as ‘DETECTIVE EDDIE HOLMES’ for SABC’S ISIDINGO.